Village, Town or County  
Browse Entries


Lewannick, Cornwall
Store this place
Link to this place
Old Map of Lewannick
Street Map of Lewannick
Places within

At Two Bridges the Penponds Water meets the River Inney by the two arches of a 16th-century bridge. The church looks over the trim village of LEWANNICK to the swelling lines of the moors, and the moors look to the church's fine tower, which has stood for 500 years, escaping the devastating fire which destroyed most of the building last century. The wagon roofs of the porches survived and the north arcade is 15th century too, but the south arcade is new, its clustered columns and flowered capitals made of stone from Polyphant, near by.

There is a new oak screen with painted panels of St George and St Martin, and a 17th-century chest, but it is the really old things which are exciting. The Norman font has geometrical patterns, and there is a remarkable cresset stone, a block 18 inches across with seven holes in the top which were filled with tallow and wicks, to serve as lamps.

The fame of Lewannick is due to two stones discovered by the old parson, Charles Archer, towards the end of his long reign of 55 years here last century. They are the gravestones of people who were buried perhaps 1400 years ago, and are called Ogam stones, Ogam being an ancient Celtic alphabet consisting of lines placed at various angles to a long base line. There is another Ogam stone at St Kew in Cornwall, but nearly all others are in Ireland.

Arthur Mee's King's England, Cornwall (1937). An original copyright transcription by CuriousFox, edited for identification purposes.

Surname GeoSearch

Find within
Text of Entries
Surname Keywords
GeoSearch Help

Read & Reply
Change email
Check entries

To send a message or add an entry... join CuriousFox as a free or paid member. Paid members have entries with green envelopes and all members can send them messages. Entries added by free members have red envelopes and only paid members can contact them.

Previous page