Village, Town or County  
 
 
Home
Help
Browse Entries

 

Chagford, Devon
 
Store this place
Link to this place
 
Old Map of Chagford
Street Map of Chagford
 
Places within


On the edge of Dartmoor, with a common famous for hut circles and prehistoric stones, CHAGFORD looks down from its height of 500 feet to the River Teign, winding through the woods and splashing over boulders at a bridge where the hamlet of Holy Street, with its Tudor house and its old mill, makes an artist's paradise. But the artist need not stir from Chagford for a picture. Here is a house of 1600 with a thatched room over its porch, a quaint marketplace, an ancient school, and a thatched inn at which a young poet died fighting for Charles Stuart. He was Sidney Godolphin (Little Sid) and might be much better known today had his life not come to an end in the porch of this inn when he was only 32. We come upon him at Okehampton, where he lies.

The church has a lofty 15th century tower, and the porch has a sundial and rich bosses on its stone vaulting. It has two side screens of 500 years ago painted red and blue and gold, and one of our own day with a fan canopy and vines trailing along the top, a lovely bit of work by the Devon sculptor Herbert Read, who has restored so many old screens. It is in memory of Noel Hayter Hames, a flying officer too young for the war, but killed in India when it was over. His ancestor, Bishop of London 200 years ago, lies in the chanceU here, where angels give beauty to the stalls. Richly carved and painted is the tomb of Sir John Whiddon, whose family lived at the inn where Godolphin died till they built the Tudor house in Whiddon Park.

Their house is here still but the family died out 300 years ago. A small clasped Bible printed the year Sir John died (perhaps used by him) rests on his tomb.

The old chantry has new fittings in memory of 22 men who did not come back, and a curious fragment of the war in which they fell has been turned into a symbol of peace in memory of a general and three lieutenants. It is a processional cross made from the aluminium of a Zeppelin brought down at Cuffley in 1916, the first to be brought down in England. A few fragments of 15th century glass shine in the windows, and on the wall is a small Madonna 100 years older, painted in Italy. It is an exquisite gem to come upon in a moorland church. Edge of Exmoor

The King's England, Devon (1938) by Arthur Mee. Original transcription by CuriousFox, edited for watermarking purposes.



 
Surname GeoSearch

Surname
County
Village/Town
Find within
Text of Entries
Surname Keywords
GeoSearch Help

Read & Reply
Change email
Check entries
Upgrade
Renew


To send a message or add an entry... join CuriousFox as a free or paid member. Paid members have entries with green envelopes and all members can send them messages. Entries added by free members have red envelopes and only paid members can contact them.





Previous page