From Bulmer's Directory of Northumberland
p. 687 The Alnwick Poor Law Union comprehends 62 parishes and townships, whose area, according to the Census returns of 1881 is 98,879 acres, the population 21,315.
The annual value of the land and property within the Union, as given in the Basis for the County Rates for 1886, is £149,682.
The Union workhouse, situated at the south end of the town, is a large building, containing all the necessary accommodation and conveniences for so important a Union. The Board of Guardians hold their meetings on the second and last Saturdays of each month.
p. 688 The Burial Board ? In 1856 by an order in council, the graveyard of the Parish Church was practically closed against future interments. A Burial Board was thereupon formed, and a plot of land purchased for a cemetery, about a mile out of the town. The grounds are beautifully laid out and kept in excellent order. There are two mortuary chapels in the Gothic style for the use of members of the Church of England and Dissenters respectively.
Posted: 2003, Member logged in: 2016